Australian developer Tin Man Games (Frootrees) has just launched the first book in their new Gamebook Adventures fantasy series for iPhone and iPod Touch, titled ‘An Assassin in Orlandes’. If you’ve ever read a Choose Your Own Adventure or Fighting Fantasy book you’ll have a good idea what to expect. The titles are essentially an interactive e-book combined with a 3D realistic dice-based battle system. The other 5 titles in the series are due to be released before July.
Assassin’s story is set within the Orlandes City, which is currently under siege by a relentless assassin who is systematically murdering nobles. It is up to you to make the right decisions to not only find the assassin, but to keep both yourself and those that you hold most dear safe from harm. Can you locate the Assassin in Orlandes before it is too late?
Tin Man Games is quick to point out that these are not simply reprints of old gamebooks, but instead are all new stories from experienced gamebook authors. Each book in the series will take readers on an exciting adventure through the land of Orlandes.
Here is the full list of Assassin in Orlandes’ features:
- Newly written story by S.P. Osborne
- Easy to use interface with classic page turning. As easy as reading a book!
- Dynamic page links that respond to your situation.
- New gamebook rules and battle system unique to Gamebook Adventures. Rules are accessible at any time during the adventure if you need to refresh yourself.
- Real-time 3D dice rolling with realistic physics. Shake the device like a dice shaker and watch the 3D dice bounce around the scene and off each other. Stop shaking and the dice will land giving you a result.
- Easy to change fonts, font sizes, and paper type to set up the book the way you want it.
- Accessible character sheet at all times during reading which auto updates when you pick up an item, your stats change, or you gain valuable information to help in your quest.
- Use bookmarks to save your progress helping you get past tricky sections.
- Achievements to collect throughout the book for those who wish to thoroughly explore all aspects of the story.
- Beautifully illustrated by Pirkka Harvala. Once found, each illustration is framed and mounted on the achievements wall so they can be accessed full-screen!
- Keep informed as the land of Orlandes grows. “Orlandes Uncovered” is a detailed history of the fantasy setting and will be updated at regular intervals giving you a rich and rewarding overall experience with the gamebooks.
- Interactive world map which can be zoomed and scrolled. This will also be updated regularly as the details about the world unfold and expand.
We don’t really have much experience in this area of gaming (other than reading a pile of Choose Your Own Adventure books in our youth), but from what we can tell ‘An Assassins in Orlandes’ sounds like a comprehensive package for fans of the genre and at just $4.99 it’s probably worth a look.