Last month developer Atebits (and Twitter) announced that Atebits’ Tweetie 2 App had been acquired by the folks at Twitter and was being re-branded as ‘Twitter’ (for iPhone) and would become the official Twitter app for the iDevice platform. The new app has pretty much remained the same, with the obvious branding tweaks here and there, but the dev’s have indicated the following new features as well:
- Search has been reorganized, now you can search all tweets and find users in the same spot, view Top Tweets and Browse Suggested users.
- Search results now include Top Tweets, try it with Trends…winner combo!
- You can now use Twitter without an account! Search, Browse uses, view trends and top tweets.
- Sign-up is now availabile within the application as well, complete with Suggested user list.
- More tab has been re-organized to accomplish all this. Users with one account can add a second account under the Accounts and Settings button here.
- Actions we’ve found people use most, like Retweet have been moved to the main actions bar.
- Minor tweaks were made to tweet rendering so they match Twitter.com tweets
Probably the best news is that under its new moniker, the formerly $2.99 App is now FREE.
If you haven’t yet experienced the wonder that was Tweetie 2, then you owe it to yourself to grab a copy of Twitter.
NOTE: Existing Tweetie 2 users will need to re-add their Twitter account(s) after the upgrade.